HC-L17_LAFFF

翻譯結果
31,626
# Lesson 17 《第17課》
# Vocabulary in Context 《情境中的單字》

impressed  
This judge was impressed and awed by a young writer's remarkable talent.這位評審對一位年輕作家非凡的才華感到印象深刻,也很驚嘆。

collected  
Chess players must remain calm and collected as they plot their next move.西洋棋選手在計畫下一步棋時,必須保持冷靜、沉著。

produced  
Amazing structures were produced, or created, at this sand castle contest.在這場沙堡比賽中,製作出(也就是創造出)很驚人的建築。

destination  
This marathoner's goal is to be the first to reach the finish line, his destination.這位馬拉松選手的目標是第一個到達終點線,也就是他的目的地。

@@@

original  
Olympia, Greece, is the original, or first, place where Olympic Games were held.希臘的 Olympia 是最初(也就是第一個)舉辦奧林匹克運動會的地方。

concentrate  
This tennis player has to concentrate on the ball in order to hit it back to her opponent.這位網球選手必須專心看著球,才能把球回擊給對手。

suspense  
These fans are in suspense, wondering who will win the big game.這些球迷心裡充滿懸念,想著到底誰會贏得這場重要的比賽。

admitted  
This spelling bee contestant admitted, or confessed, how nervous he was.這位拼字比賽的參賽者承認(也就是坦白)他有多緊張。

compliment  
A first-place trophy is a compliment praising the dog and its handler.第一名獎盃是一種稱讚,用來表揚那隻狗和牠的領犬員。

rumor  
Sometimes a rumor, or unproved news, can spread about who won a contest.有時候,關於誰贏了比賽的謠言(也就是未經證實的消息)會傳開來。

@@@

LAFFF from Best Shorts by Lensey Namioka selection illustrated by Hiromitsu YokotaLAFFF 選自 Best Shorts 作者:Lensey Namioka,插畫:Hiromitsu Yokota

**IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES**(想像各種可能性)

Did you know that science fiction writers have been thrilling audiences with stories about time travel for well over a century?你知道嗎?科幻作家用「時間旅行」的故事讓讀者感到興奮、緊張刺激,已經超過一個世紀了。  
One of the best-known novels about time travel is H.G. Wells’s The Time Machine.最有名的時間旅行小說之一是 H.G. Wells 的《The Time Machine》。  
This novel features a main character who builds an incredible time machine and uses it to explore and interact with periods and people far into the future—and it was written way back in 1888!這本小說的主角打造了一台不可思議的時光機,並用它去探索遙遠未來的時代與人們,還跟他們互動——而且它早在 1888 年就寫好了!

Readers throughout the world have had a long-standing love affair with science fiction because it stimulates their imaginations and weaves together elements of fantasy, science, adventure, mystery, and drama.世界各地的讀者長久以來都很喜愛科幻小說,因為它能激發想像力,並把奇幻、科學、冒險、推理和戲劇等元素交織在一起。  
Several popular science fiction authors have seen their work adapted into movies or television series that involve the creation of elaborate sets and futuristic inventions, and while translating a writer’s vision of time travel to film or screen can be difficult and expensive, the payoff is that fans of the book get to see the future or past brought to life in whole new ways.有幾位很受歡迎的科幻作家,他們的作品被改編成電影或電視影集,這些改編常常需要打造精緻的場景和未來感的發明;雖然把作家對時間旅行的想法呈現在電影或螢幕上既困難又花錢,但回報是:書迷能用全新的方式,看見「未來」或「過去」被栩栩如生地呈現出來。

Despite the countless depictions of time travel in literature, film, and television, there is no evidence that it has ever happened or could happen; it is a testament to the talents of science fiction authors that they are able to write such believable stories about a future no one has yet experienced.雖然在文學、電影和電視裡有無數關於時間旅行的描寫,但沒有任何證據顯示它曾經發生過或能夠發生;科幻作家能寫出這麼可信的故事,描寫一個還沒有人真正經歷過的未來,這正是他們才華的證明。  
Perhaps some of the inventions, environments, and ideas in those stories will be realized someday, though.不過,也許那些故事中的一些發明、環境和想法,有一天真的會實現。  
Imagine that!想像一下吧!

請看右側文字:請看右側文字:

What role does imagination play in the invention process?(想像力在發明的過程中扮演什麼角色?)想像力在發明的過程中扮演什麼角色?

答案可以是:答案可以是:  
Imagination helps people think of new ideas and picture things that do not exist yet, which can lead to new inventions.想像力能幫助人們想出新點子,並在腦中描繪尚未存在的事物,進而帶來新的發明。

@@@

In movies, geniuses have frizzy white hair, right?在電影裡,天才都有一頭蓬蓬的白頭髮,對吧?  
They wear thick glasses and have names like Dr. Zweistein.他們戴著厚厚的眼鏡,名字像是 Zweistein 博士。  

Peter Lu didn’t have frizzy white hair. Peter Lu 沒有蓬蓬的白頭髮。  
He had straight hair, as black as licorice.他有一頭直髮,黑得像甘草糖一樣。  
He didn’t wear thick glasses, either, since his vision was normal.他也沒有戴厚眼鏡,因為他的視力很正常。

Peter’s family, like ours, had immigrated from China, but they had settled here first.彼得的家人跟我們家一樣,是從中國移民來的,不過他們比較早就在這裡定居了。When we moved into a house just two doors down from the Lus, they gave us some good advice on how to get along in America.當我們搬進一棟離 Lu 家只隔兩間房子的地方時,他們給了我們一些在美國如何好好生活的好建議。

I went to the same school as Peter, and we walked to the school bus together every morning.我跟彼得讀同一所學校,而且每天早上我們都一起走去搭校車。Like many Chinese parents, mine made sure that I worked very hard in school.就像許多華人父母一樣,我的爸媽一定要我在學校很努力用功。

In spite of all I could do, my grades were nothing compared to Peter’s.不管我怎麼努力,我的成績跟彼得比起來根本不算什麼。He was at the top in all his classes.他每一科都名列前茅。We walked to the school bus without talking because I was a little scared of him.我們走去搭校車的路上都不說話,因為我有點怕他。Besides, he was always deep in thought.而且,他總是陷在自己的思考裡。

Peter didn’t have any friends.彼得沒有任何朋友。Most of the kids thought he was a nerd because they saw his head always buried in books.大多數孩子覺得他是書呆子,因為他們總是看到他埋頭在書本裡。I didn’t think he even tried to join the rest of us or cared what the others thought of him.我覺得他甚至沒想要加入我們大家,也不在乎別人怎麼看他。

@@@

Then he surprised us all.接著,他讓我們所有人都嚇了一跳。As I went down the block trick-or-treating, dressed as a zucchini in my green sweats, I heard a strange, deep voice behind me say, “How do you do.”當我穿著綠色運動服、打扮成一根櫛瓜,沿著街區挨家挨戶要糖果時,我聽到身後有個奇怪、低沉的聲音說:「你好嗎?」

I yelped and turned around.我尖叫了一聲,轉過身去。Peter was wearing a long, black Chinese gown with slits in the sides.彼得穿著一件長長的黑色中式長袍,兩側有開衩。On his head he had a little round cap, and down each side of his mouth drooped a thin, long mustache.他頭上戴著一頂小圓帽,嘴巴兩邊各垂著一撇細細長長的鬍子。

“I am Dr. Lu Manchu, the mad scientist,” he announced, putting his hands in his sleeves and bowing.他宣布說:「我是 Lu Manchu 博士,瘋狂科學家。」他把手收進袖子裡,還鞠了一躬。

He smiled when he saw me staring at his costume.他看到我盯著他的裝扮看,就笑了。It was a scary smile, somehow.那笑容不知怎麼的,看起來有點可怕。

Some of the other kids came up, and when they saw Peter, they were impressed.其他幾個孩子走了過來,他們一看到彼得,就覺得很厲害。“Hey, neat!” said one boy.其中一個男孩說:「嘿,好酷!」

I hadn’t expected Peter to put on a costume and go trick-or-treating like a normal kid.我沒想到彼得會穿上裝扮,像一般小孩一樣去要糖果。So maybe he did want to join the others after all—at least some of the time.所以,也許他其實也想加入大家——至少有時候是這樣。After that night he wasn’t a nerd anymore.從那天晚上之後,他就不再是書呆子了。He was Dr. Lu Manchu.他是 Lu Manchu 博士。Even some of the teachers began to call him that.甚至有些老師也開始這樣叫他。

When we became too old for trick-or-treating, Peter was still Dr. Lu Manchu.當我們長到不再適合去要糖果的年紀時,彼得還是 Lu Manchu 博士。The rumor was that he was working on a fantastic machine in his parents’ garage.大家都在傳說,他正在爸媽家的車庫裡做一台很神奇的機器。But nobody had any idea what it was.但沒有人知道那到底是什麼。

One evening, as I was coming home from a baby-sitting job, I cut across the Lus’ backyard.有一天傍晚,我做完保母工作要回家時,我抄近路穿過 Lu 家的後院。Passing their garage, I saw through a little window that the light was on.經過他們的車庫時,我透過一扇小窗戶看到裡面的燈是亮的。My curiosity got the better of me, and I peeked in.我好奇心忍不住,就偷看了一下。

@@@

I saw a booth that looked like a shower stall.我看到一個小隔間,看起來像淋浴間。A stool stood in the middle of the stall, and hanging over the stool was something that looked like a great big shower head.隔間中間放著一張凳子,凳子上方吊著一個東西,看起來像超大的蓮蓬頭。

Suddenly a deep voice behind me said, “Good evening, Angela.”突然,我身後有個低沉的聲音說:「晚上好,Angela。」Peter bowed and smiled his scary smile.彼得鞠了個躬,露出他那個有點嚇人的笑容。He didn’t have his costume on and he didn’t have the long, droopy mustache.他沒有穿那套服裝,也沒有那條長長垂垂的鬍子。But he was Dr. Lu Manchu.可是他還是 Lu Manchu 博士。

“What are you doing?” I squeaked.我用尖細的聲音說:「你在做什麼?」

Still in his strange, deep voice, Peter said, “What are you doing? After all, this is my garage.”彼得還是用他那種奇怪的低沉嗓音說:「你在做什麼?畢竟,這是我的車庫啊。」

“I was just cutting across your yard to get home. Your parents never complained before.”我說:「我只是抄近路穿過你們家院子回家而已。你爸媽以前也從來沒抱怨過啊。」

“I thought you were spying on me,” said Peter.彼得說:「我以為你在偷窺我。」“I thought you wanted to know about my machine.”他說:「我以為你想知道我的機器。」He hissed when he said the word *machine*.他說到 *machine* 這個字時,還發出「嘶——」的聲音。

Honestly, he was beginning to frighten me.老實說,他開始讓我覺得有點害怕了。  
“What machine?” I demanded.「什麼機器?」我追問。  
“You mean this shower-stall thing?”「你是說這個像淋浴間隔間的東西嗎?」

He drew himself up and narrowed his eyes, making them into thin slits.他挺直身子,瞇起眼睛,瞇成細細的一條線。  
“This is my time machine!”「這是我的時光機!」

I goggled at him.我瞪大眼睛看著他。  
“You mean . . . you mean . . . this machine can send you forward and backward in time?”「你是說……你是說……這台機器可以把你送到時間的前面和後面嗎?」

“Well, actually, I can only send things forward in time,” admitted Peter, speaking in his normal voice again.「嗯,其實我只能把東西送到未來,」Peter 承認,聲音又恢復正常。  
“That’s why I’m calling the machine LAFFF. It stands for Lu’s Artifact For Fast Forward.”「所以我把這台機器叫做 LAFFF。它的意思是:Lu 的快轉神器(Lu’s Artifact For Fast Forward)。」

Of course Peter always won first prize at the annual statewide science fair.當然,Peter 每年都會在全州科展拿到第一名。  
But that’s a long way from making a time machine.可是,這跟做出一台時光機還差得遠呢。  
Minus his mustache and long Chinese gown, he was just Peter Lu.如果不看他的鬍子和那件長長的中國長袍,他就只是 Peter Lu 而已。  

@@@

"I don't believe it!" I said.「我不相信!」我說。  
"I bet LAFF is only good for a laugh."「我看 LAFF 只會讓人笑一笑而已吧。」

"Okay, Angela. I'll show you!" hissed Peter.「好啊,Angela,我做給你看!」Peter 嘶聲說道。

He sat down on the stool and twisted a dial.他坐到凳子上,轉動一個旋鈕。  
I heard some bleeps, cheeps, and gurgles.我聽到一些嗶嗶聲、啾啾聲,還有咕嚕咕嚕的聲音。  
Peter disappeared.Peter 消失了。

He must have done it with mirrors.他一定是用鏡子做的把戲。  
I looked around the garage.我在車庫裡四處看。  
I peeked under the tool bench.我探頭往工具工作檯下面看。  
There was no sign of him.完全沒有他的影子。

"Okay, I give up," I told him.「好吧,我投降,」我對他說。  
"It's a good trick, Peter. You can come out now."「這招很厲害,Peter。你現在可以出來了。」

Bleep, cheep, and gurgle went the machine, and there was Peter sitting on the stool.機器又發出嗶、啾、咕嚕的聲音,Peter 就坐在凳子上出現了。  
He held a red rose in his hand.他手上拿著一朵紅玫瑰。  
"What do you think of that?"「你覺得怎麼樣?」

I blinked.我眨了眨眼。  
"So you produced a flower. Maybe you had it under the stool."「所以你變出一朵花。也許你本來就把它藏在凳子下面。」

"Roses bloom in June, right?" he demanded.「玫瑰是在六月開花,對吧?」他追問。

That was true.那是真的。  
And this was December.可是現在是十二月。

"I sent myself forward in time to June when the flowers were blooming," said Peter.「我把自己送到未來的六月,那時候花正在開,」Peter 說。  
"And I picked the rose from our yard. Convinced, Angela?"「然後我從我們家院子摘了這朵玫瑰。相信了嗎,Angela?」

It was too hard to swallow.這實在太難讓人相信了。  
"You said you couldn't send things back in time," I objected.「你說過你沒辦法把東西送回到過去,」我反駁。  
"So how did you bring the rose back?"「那你怎麼把玫瑰帶回來的?」

But even as I spoke I saw that his hands were empty.可是我才剛說完,就看見他的手是空的。  
The rose was gone.玫瑰不見了。

"That's one of the problems with the machine," said Peter.「那就是這台機器的其中一個問題,」Peter 說。  
"When I send myself forward, I can't seem to stay there for long.我把自己送到未來之後,好像沒辦法待太久。  
I snap back to my own time after only a minute.我只過了一分鐘就會立刻彈回我原本的時間。  
Anything I bring with me snaps back to its own time, too.我帶著的任何東西也會一起彈回它原本的時間。  
So my rose has gone back to this June."所以我的玫瑰已經回到「這個六月」去了。」

請看下側文字:請看下方文字:

**Literary Devices** When authors use words, such as buzz or clang, that sound like the noises they describe, it is called onomatopoeia.  
**文學手法** 當作者使用像 buzz 或 clang 這種聽起來就像它所描述的聲音的字,這就叫做 onomatopoeia(擬聲詞)。

Where has the author used onomatopoeia on this page, and what does it add to the story?(作者在這一頁哪裡使用了擬聲詞?這為故事增加了什麼?)  
作者在這一頁哪裡使用擬聲詞?它為故事增添了什麼效果?

可以暫停思考一下,答案可以是:可以先停下來想一想,參考答案可以是:  
The author uses words like “bleeps,” “cheeps,” and “gurgles” to show the sounds of the machine, and it helps the reader imagine what the machine sounds like.作者用像「bleeps(嗶嗶聲)」、「cheeps(啾啾聲)」和「gurgles(咕嚕咕嚕聲)」這些字來表現機器發出的聲音,讓讀者更容易想像那台機器聽起來是什麼樣子。

@@@

I was finally convinced, and I began to see possibilities.我終於相信了,也開始想到各種可能性。  
“Wow, just think: If I don’t want to do the dishes, I can send myself forward to the time when the dishes are already done.”「哇,想想看:如果我不想洗碗,我就可以把自己送到未來,送到碗已經都洗好了的時候。」  

“That won’t do you much good,” said Peter.「那對你也沒什麼用,」Peter 說。  
“You’d soon pop back to the time when the dishes were still dirty.”「你很快就會又跳回碗還是髒的那個時間。」

Too bad.「真可惜。  
“There must be something your machine is good for,” I said.「你的機器一定有什麼用處啦,」我說。  
Then I had another idea.然後我又想到另一個點子。  
“Hey, you can bring me back a piece of fudge from the future, and I can eat it twice: once now, and again in the future.”「嘿,你可以從未來帶一塊太妃糖回來給我,這樣我就能吃兩次:現在吃一次,未來再吃一次。」

“Yes, but the fudge wouldn’t stay in your stomach,” said Peter.「可以是可以,可是太妃糖不會留在你的胃裡,」Peter 說。  
“It would go back to the future.”「它會回到未來。」

“That’s even better!” I said.「那更好!」我說。  
“I can enjoy eating the fudge over and over again without getting fat!”「我就可以一遍又一遍享受吃太妃糖,而且還不會變胖!」

It was late, and I had to go home before my parents started to worry.時間很晚了,我得在爸媽開始擔心之前回家。  
Before I left, Peter said, “Look, Angela, there’s still a lot of work to do on LAFFF. Please don’t tell anybody about the machine until I’ve got it right.”我離開前,Peter 說:「聽著,Angela,LAFFF 還有很多地方要調整。拜託你,在我把它弄好之前,不要跟任何人說這台機器的事。」

A few days later I asked him how he was doing.幾天後,我問他進展得怎麼樣。  

“I can stay in the future time a bit longer now,” he said.「我現在可以在未來待久一點了,」他說。  
“Once I got it up to four minutes.”「有一次我讓它撐到四分鐘。」

“Is that enough time to bring me back some fudge from the future?” I asked.「那夠時間從未來帶一些太妃糖回來給我嗎?」我問。  

“We don’t keep many sweets around the house,” he said.「我們家很少放糖果點心,」他說。  
“But I’ll see what I can do.”「不過我會看看能不能想辦法。」

A few minutes later, he came back with a spring roll for me.幾分鐘後,他拿了一條春捲回來給我。  
“My mother was frying these in the kitchen, and I snatched one while she wasn’t looking.”「我媽媽在廚房炸這個,我趁她沒注意時偷拿了一條。」

@@@

I bit into the hot, crunchy spring roll, but before I finished chewing, it disappeared.我咬了一口又熱又酥脆的春捲,可是我還沒嚼完,它就消失了。  
The taste of soy sauce, green onions, and bean sprouts stayed a little longer in my mouth, though.不過,醬油、青蔥和豆芽的味道在我嘴裡又多留了一下子。

It was fun to play around with LAFFF, but it wasn’t really useful.玩 LAFFF 是很好玩,可是它其實沒什麼實際用處。  
I didn’t know what a great help it would turn out to be.我那時不知道,它後來竟然會變成一個超大的幫手。

Every year our school held a writing contest, and the winning story for each grade got printed in our school magazine.每年我們學校都會舉辦寫作比賽,每個年級得獎的故事都會印在校刊上。  
I wanted desperately to win.我非常、非常想要得冠軍。  
I worked awfully hard in school, but my parents still thought I could do better.我在學校已經很努力了,可是爸媽還是覺得我可以更好。

Winning the writing contest would show my parents that I was really good in something.如果我能贏得寫作比賽,就能讓爸媽知道我真的有一樣事很拿手。  
I love writing stories, and I have lots of ideas.我喜歡寫故事,而且我有很多點子。  
But when I actually write them down, my stories never turn out as good as I thought.可是當我真的把它們寫下來時,我的故事總是沒有我想像中那麼好。  
I just can’t seem to find the right words, because English isn’t my first language.我好像怎麼樣都找不到最適合的字,因為英文不是我的母語。

I got an honorable mention last year, but it wasn’t the same as winning and showing my parents my name, Angela Tang, printed in the school magazine.去年我得到佳作,可是那跟真正得獎、然後把我的名字 Angela Tang 印在校刊上給爸媽看,感覺就是不一樣。

The deadline for the contest was getting close, and I had a pile of stories written, but none of them looked like a winner.比賽截止日期越來越近,我寫了一大疊故事,可是看起來沒有一篇像會得冠軍。  

Then, the day before the deadline, *boing*, a brilliant idea hit me.就在截止前一天,*boing*,我突然靈光一閃,想到一個超棒的主意。  

I thought of Peter and his LAFFF machine.我想到了 Peter 和他的 LAFFF 機器。  

I rushed over to the Lus’ garage and, just as I had hoped, Peter was there, tinkering with his machine.我立刻衝到 Lu 家的車庫,果然跟我希望的一樣,Peter 在那裡擺弄他的機器。  

@@@

"I've got this great idea for winning the story contest," I told him breathlessly.「我想到一個可以贏得故事比賽的超棒方法,」我氣喘吁吁地告訴他。  
"You see, to be certain of winning, I have to write the story that would be the winner."「你看,要確定能得獎,我就得寫出那篇會得冠軍的故事。」

"That's obvious," Peter said dryly.「這很明顯,」Peter 冷冷地說。  
"In fact, you're going around in a circle."「其實你是在繞圈圈。」

"Wait, listen!" I said.「等等,先聽我說!」我說。  
"I want to use LAFFF and go forward to the time when the next issue of the school magazine is out. Then I can read the winning story."「我想用 LAFFF 往前到下一期校刊出版的時間,然後我就可以去讀那篇得獎的故事。」

After a moment Peter nodded. "I see. You plan to write down the winning story after you've read it and then send it in to the contest."  
過了一會兒,Peter 點了點頭。「我懂了。你打算在讀完得獎故事後把它寫下來,然後寄去參加比賽。」

I nodded eagerly. "The story would have to win, because it's the winner!"  
我興奮地點點頭。「這個故事一定會得獎,因為它本來就是冠軍作品啊!」

Peter began to look interested. "I've got LAFFF to the point where I can stay in the future for seven minutes now. Will that be long enough for you?"  
Peter 開始看起來有興趣了。「我已經把 LAFFF 調到可以在未來待七分鐘了。這樣對你來說夠久嗎?」

"I'll just have to work quickly," I said.  
「那我只好動作快一點。」我說。

Peter smiled. It wasn't his scary Lu Manchu smile, but a nice smile. He was getting as excited as I was. "Okay, Angela. Let's go for it."  
Peter 笑了。那不是他可怕的 Lu Manchu 式笑容,而是一個很好看的笑。他跟我一樣越來越興奮。「好,Angela。那我們就來吧。」

He led me to the stool. "What's your destination?" he asked. "I mean, when's your destination?"  
他帶我走到那張凳子旁。「你的目的地是哪裡?」他問。「我是說,你的目的地是什麼時候?」

Suddenly I was nervous. I told myself that Peter had made many time trips, and he looked perfectly healthy.  
我突然緊張了起來。我告訴自己,Peter 已經做過很多次時間旅行,而且他看起來非常健康。

Why not? What have I got to lose—except time?  
為什麼不呢?我有什麼好失去的——除了時間以外?

I took a deep breath. "I want to go forward three weeks in time." By then I'd have a copy of the new school magazine in my room.  
我深吸一口氣。「我想要往前到三週之後。」到那時候,我房間裡就會有一本新的校刊。

@@@

"Ready, Angela?" asked Peter.  
「準備好了嗎,Angela?」Peter 問。

"As ready as I'll ever be," I whispered.  
「我已經是我所能做到的最準備好了。」我小聲說。

*Bleep, cheep, and gurgle.* Suddenly Peter disappeared.  
*嗶、啾、咕嚕。*突然,Peter 消失了。

What went wrong? Did Peter get sent by mistake, instead of me?  
到底哪裡出錯了?難道被送走的是 Peter,不是我嗎?

Then I realized what had happened. Three weeks later in time Peter might be somewhere else. No wonder I couldn't see him.  
接著我才明白發生了什麼事。三週之後的那個時間點,Peter 可能在別的地方。難怪我看不到他。

There was no time to be lost. Rushing out of Peter's garage, I ran over to our house and entered through the back door.  
沒有時間可以浪費了。我衝出 Peter 的車庫,跑回我們家,從後門進去。

Mother was in the kitchen. When she saw me, she stared.  
媽媽在廚房。她一看到我,就瞪大眼睛看著我。

"Angela! I thought you were upstairs taking a shower!"  
「Angela!我以為你在樓上洗澡!」

"Sorry!" I panted. "No time to talk!"  
「對不起!」我氣喘吁吁地說。「沒時間說了!」

I dashed up to my room. Then I suddenly had a strange idea. What if I met *myself* in my room? Argh! It was a spooky thought.  
我衝上樓跑回房間。然後我突然想到一個奇怪的念頭:如果我在房間裡遇到*我自己*怎麼辦?啊!那想法好毛。

There was nobody in my room. Where was I? I mean, where was the I of three weeks later?  
房間裡沒有人。我人呢?我是說,三週後的那個我在哪裡?

Wait. Mother had just said she thought I was taking a shower. Down the hall, I could hear the water running in the bathroom. Okay. That meant I wouldn't run into me for a while.  
等等。媽媽剛剛說她以為我在洗澡。走廊那頭,我聽得到浴室水在流的聲音。好,這代表我暫時不會跟我自己撞個正著。

請看下側文字:  
請看下側文字:

From what point of view does the author tell the story? How do you know? How does this point of view affect the way story events are described?(作者用什麼觀點來講故事?你怎麼知道?這種觀點如何影響事件的描述?)  
作者是用什麼觀點來講這個故事?你怎麼知道?這種觀點會怎麼影響故事事件的描述方式?

思考一下,答案可以是:  
想一想,答案可以是:

It is told from the first-person point of view because the narrator uses “I.” This makes the events feel personal and lets us know only what Angela thinks and feels as they happen.  
這個故事是用第一人稱觀點來講的,因為敘述者使用「I(我)」。這會讓事件感覺很貼近個人,也讓我們只能知道 Angela 在事情發生當下的想法和感受。

@@@

I went to the shelf above my desk and frantically pawed through the junk piled there. I found it! I found the latest issue of the school magazine, the one with the winning stories printed in it.  
我走到書桌上方的架子,慌慌張張地在上面堆著的雜物裡亂翻。我找到了!我找到最新一期的校刊了,就是那本印著得獎故事的校刊。

How much time had passed? Better hurry. The shower had stopped running. This meant the other me was out of the bathroom. Have to get out of here!  
過了多久了?最好快一點。淋浴的水聲停了。這表示另一個我已經走出浴室了。我得趕快離開這裡!

Too late. Just as I started down the stairs, I heard Mother talking again. “Angela! A minute ago you were all dressed! Now you’re in your robe again and your hair’s all wet! I don’t understand.”  
太晚了。就在我開始下樓梯的時候,我又聽到媽媽在說話:「Angela!剛剛你還穿得好好的!怎麼現在你又穿著浴袍,而且頭髮還濕濕的!我真的搞不懂。」

I shivered.我打了個寒顫。  
It was scary, listening to Mother talking to myself downstairs.在樓下聽著媽媽跟「我自己」說話,真是太可怕了。  
I heard my other self answering something, then the sound of her—my—steps coming up the stairs.我聽見另一個我回了些什麼,接著聽到她——我——的腳步聲走上樓梯。  
In a panic, I dodged into the spare room and closed the door.我嚇得慌了,趕緊閃進空房間,把門關上。  

I heard the steps—my steps—go past and into my room.我聽見腳步聲——我的腳步聲——走過去,進了我的房間。  

The minute I heard the door of my room close, I rushed out and down the stairs.我一聽到我房間的門關上,立刻衝出去,往樓下跑。  

Mother was standing at the foot of the stairs.媽媽正站在樓梯底下。  
When she saw me, her mouth dropped.她一看到我,嘴巴都張大了。  
“But . . . but . . . just a minute ago you were in your robe and your hair was all wet!”「可……可是……就在剛才你還穿著浴袍,頭髮還濕答答的耶!」  

“See you later, Mother,” I panted.「晚點見,媽媽,」我氣喘吁吁地說。  
And I ran.然後我就跑了。  

Behind me, I heard Mother muttering, “I’m going mad!”在我身後,我聽見媽媽咕噥著說:「我一定是要瘋了!」  

@@@  

I didn’t stop and try to explain.我沒有停下來解釋。  
I might go mad, too.我可能也會瘋掉。  

It would be great if I could just keep the magazine with me.要是我能把那本雜誌一直帶在身邊就太好了。  
But, like the spring roll, it would get carried back to its own time after a few minutes.可是,就像那個春捲一樣,過了幾分鐘它就會被帶回屬於它的時間。  
So the next best thing was to read the magazine as fast as I could.所以第二好的辦法,就是我用最快的速度把雜誌讀完。  

It was hard to run and flip through the magazine at the same time.一邊跑一邊翻雜誌真的很難。  
But I made it back to Peter’s garage and plopped down on the stool.不過我還是跑回了 Peter 的車庫,啪地一聲坐到那張凳子上。  

At last I found the story: the story that had won the contest in our grade.終於我找到了那篇故事:那篇贏得我們年級比賽的故事。  
I started to read.我開始讀。  
Suddenly I heard bleep, cheep, and gurgle, and Peter loomed up in front of me.突然我聽到嗶嗶、啾啾、咕嚕咕嚕的聲音,Peter 又突然出現在我面前。  
I was back in my original time again.我又回到原本的時間了。  

But I still had the magazine!可是雜誌還在我手上!  
Now I had to read the story before the magazine popped back to the future.現在我得在雜誌「跳回」未來之前把故事讀完。  
It was hard to concentrate with Peter jumping up and down impatiently, so different from his usual calm, collected self.因為 Peter 不耐煩地跳上跳下,我很難專心;他跟平常那個冷靜又沉著的他差太多了。  

請看下側文字:請看下方的文字:  

Story Structure Setting, where the story happens, is often an important part of a story’s structure.  
故事結構 「背景」(故事發生的地方)常常是故事結構中很重要的一部分。  

How does the setting make Angela’s trip to the future exciting and funny?(故事發生的地點如何讓安琪拉的未來之旅變得刺激又有趣?)  
背景如何讓 Angela 的未來之旅既刺激又好笑呢?(故事發生的地點如何讓安琪拉的未來之旅變得刺激又有趣?)  

思考一下,答案可以是:思考一下,答案可以是:  
The story takes place in familiar places like the garage, house, and school, so seeing strange future events happen there makes the trip exciting and funny.  
故事發生在一些很熟悉的地方,像是車庫、家裡和學校,所以當奇怪的未來事件在那些地方發生時,就讓這趟旅程變得又刺激又好笑。  

@@@  

I read a few paragraphs, and I was beginning to see how the story would shape up.我讀了幾段,開始看得出來這個故事會怎麼發展。  
But before I got any further, the magazine disappeared from my hand.可是我還沒讀下去,雜誌就從我手中消失了。  

So I didn’t finish reading the story.所以我沒有把故事讀完。  
I didn’t reach the end, where the name of the winning writer was printed.我沒有讀到最後,也就沒看到印著得獎作者名字的地方。  

That night I stayed up very late to write down what I remembered of the story.那天晚上我熬到很晚,把我記得的故事內容寫下來。  
It had a neat plot, and I could see why it was the winner.它的情節很完整、很精彩,我也明白為什麼它會得第一名。  

I hadn’t read the entire story, so I had to make up the ending myself.我沒有把整篇故事讀完,所以結局只好自己編。  
But that was okay, since I knew how it should come out.不過沒關係,因為我知道它應該會怎麼收尾。  
The winners of the writing contest would be announced at the school assembly on Friday.寫作比賽的得獎名單會在星期五的全校集會上公布。  
After we had filed into the assembly hall and sat down, the principal gave a speech.等我們排隊走進禮堂坐好後,校長開始致詞。  
I tried not to fidget while he explained about the contest.他在說明比賽的事情時,我努力不要坐立難安。  

Suddenly I was struck by a dreadful thought.突然,一個可怕的念頭擊中了我。  
Somebody in my class had written the winning story, the one I had copied.我們班上一定有人寫了那篇得獎故事,而我把它抄了下來。  
Wouldn’t that person be declared the winner, instead of me?那麼被宣布得獎的人,不就會是那個人,而不是我嗎?

The principal started announcing the winners.校長開始宣布得獎者。I chewed my knuckles in an agony of **suspense**, as I waited to see who would be announced as the winner in my class.我緊張得要命,咬著自己的指關節,痛苦地在**期待與懸念**中等著看我們班會宣布誰得獎。Slowly, the principal began with the lowest grade.校長慢慢地從最低年級開始。Each winner walked in slow motion to the stage, while the principal slowly explained why the story was good.每一位得獎者都像慢動作一樣走上舞台,而校長也慢慢地解釋為什麼那篇故事寫得好。

At last, at last, he came to our grade.終於,終於,他輪到我們年級了。 “The winner is . . .”「得獎者是……」He stopped, slowly got out his handkerchief, and slowly blew his nose.他停了一下,慢慢拿出手帕,又慢慢擤了擤鼻子。Then he cleared his throat.接著他清了清喉嚨。 “The winning story is ‘Around and Around,’ by Angela Tang.”「得獎的故事是〈Around and Around〉,作者是 Angela Tang。」

I sat like a stone, unable to move.我像石頭一樣坐著,動也動不了。Peter nudged me. Peter 用手肘推了推我。 “Go on, Angela! They’re waiting for you.”「快去啊,Angela!大家在等你呢!」

@@@

I got up and walked up to the stage in a daze.我站起來,迷迷糊糊地走上舞台。The principal’s voice seemed to be coming from far, far away as he told the audience that I had written a science fiction story about time travel.校長對觀眾說我寫了一篇有關時間旅行的科幻故事時,他的聲音聽起來好像從很遠很遠的地方傳來。

The winners each got a notebook bound in imitation leather for writing more stories.每位得獎者都拿到一本仿皮封面的筆記本,可以用來寫更多故事。Inside the cover of the notebook was a ballpoint pen.筆記本封面內側還夾著一支原子筆。But the best prize was having my story in the school magazine with my name printed at the end.但最棒的獎品,是我的故事會登在校刊上,而且最後會印上我的名字。

Then why didn’t I feel good about winning?那為什麼我一點也不覺得得獎很開心呢?

After assembly, the kids in our class crowded around to congratulate me.集會結束後,我們班的同學都擠過來向我道賀。Peter formally shook my hand. Peter 很正式地跟我握手。 “Good work, Angela,” he said and winked at me.「做得好,Angela。」他說完還對我眨了眨眼。That didn’t make me feel any better.但這一點也沒有讓我好過些。I hadn’t won the contest fairly.我並不是靠公平的方式贏得比賽的。Instead of writing the story myself, I had copied it from the school magazine.我沒有自己寫那篇故事,而是從校刊上抄來的。

That meant someone in our class—one of the kids here—had actually written the story.這表示我們班上一定有人——就是這裡的某個同學——才是真正寫出那篇故事的人。Who was it?會是誰呢?

My heart was knocking against my ribs as I stood there and waited for someone to complain that I had stolen his story.我站在那裡,心臟砰砰撞著肋骨,等著有人跳出來抱怨我偷了他的故事。

Nobody did.卻沒有任何人這麼做。

As we were riding the school bus home, Peter looked at me.我們坐校車回家時,Peter 看著我。 “You don’t seem very happy about winning the contest, Angela.”「你看起來贏了比賽也不太開心耶,Angela。」  

“No, I’m not,” I mumbled.「對,我沒有。」我小聲嘟囔。 “I feel just awful.”「我覺得糟透了。」

“Tell you what,” suggested Peter.「我跟你說,」Peter 提議。 “Come over to my house and we’ll discuss it.”「來我家,我們來談一談。」

“What is there to discuss?” I asked glumly.「有什麼好談的?」我沮喪地問。 “I won the contest because I cheated.”「我會得獎是因為我作弊。」

@@@

Come on over, anyway.不管怎樣,還是過來吧。My mother bought a fresh package of humbow in Chinatown.我媽媽在唐人街買了一包新鮮的 humbow。

I couldn't turn down that invitation.我沒辦法拒絕這個邀請。Humbow, a roll stuffed with barbecued pork, is my favorite snack.Humbow 是一種裡面包著叉燒肉的麵包捲,是我最愛的點心。

Peter's mother came into the kitchen while we were munching, and he told her about the contest.我們正嚼著吃的時候,Peter 的媽媽走進廚房,Peter 就把比賽的事告訴她。

Mrs. Lu looked pleased. Lu 太太看起來很高興。 "I'm very glad, Angela. You have a terrific imagination, and you deserve to win."「我真的很高興,Angela。你有很棒的想像力,你值得得獎。」

"I like Angela's stories," said Peter.Peter 說:「我喜歡 Angela 的故事。」 "They're original."「她的故事很有原創性。」

It was the first **compliment** he had ever paid me, and I felt my face turning red.那是他第一次稱讚我,我覺得臉都紅了。(**稱讚**)

After Mrs. Lu left us, Peter and I each had another humbow. Lu 太太離開後,我和 Peter 又各吃了一個 humbow。But I was still miserable.可是我還是很難受。 "I wish I had never started this. I feel like such a jerk."「我真希望我從來沒有開始做這件事。我覺得自己好像一個大笨蛋。」

Peter looked at me, and I swear he was enjoying himself.Peter 看著我,我發誓他好像還覺得滿有趣的。 "If you stole another student's story, why didn't that person complain?"「如果你偷了別的同學的故事,那為什麼那個人沒有抱怨?」

"I don't know!" I wailed.「我不知道啦!」我哀號。

"Think!" said Peter.Peter 說:「想一想!」 "You're smart, Angela. Come on, figure it out."「你很聰明,Angela。快點,想出答案吧。」

Me, smart? I was so overcome to hear myself called smart by a genius like Peter that I just stared at him.  
我,很聰明?聽到像 Peter 這樣的天才說我聰明,我激動得不得了,只能瞪著他看。

He had to repeat himself. "Figure it out, Angela!"  
他只好再說一次。「想一想就知道了,Angela!」

I tried to concentrate. Why was Peter looking so amused?  
我試著專心思考。為什麼 Peter 看起來那麼好笑、那麼想笑?

The light finally dawned. "Got it," I said slowly. "I'm the one who wrote the story."  
我終於恍然大悟。「我懂了,」我慢慢地說,「寫那個故事的人就是我。」

"The winning story is your own, Angela, because that's the one that won."  
「得獎的故事就是你自己的,Angela,因為獲勝的就是那一篇。」

My head began to go around and around. "But where did the original idea for the story come from?"  
我腦袋開始轉啊轉。「可是,這個故事最原本的點子是從哪裡來的?」

"What made the plot so good?" asked Peter. His voice sounded unsteady.  
「是什麼讓情節這麼精彩?」Peter 問。他的聲音聽起來有點不太穩。

"Well, in my story, my character used a time machine to go forward in time..."  
「嗯,在我的故事裡,我的角色用了一台時光機到未來去……」

@@@

"Okay, whose idea was it to use a time machine?"  
「好,那用時光機這個點子是誰想的?」

"It was mine," I said slowly. I remembered the moment when the idea had hit me with a bang.  
「是我,」我慢慢地說。我想起那一刻,那個點子突然「砰!」地一下打中我。

"So you stole from yourself!" sputtered Peter.  
「所以你是從你自己那裡偷來的!」Peter 結結巴巴地說。

He started to roar with laughter. I had never seen him break down like that.  
他開始放聲大笑。我從沒看過他笑成這樣。

At this rate, he might wind up being human.  
照這樣下去,他搞不好最後會變得像個「正常人」一樣。

When he could talk again, he asked me to read my story to him.  
等他終於能再說話時,他叫我把我的故事念給他聽。

I began. "In movies, geniuses have frizzy white hair, right? They wear thick glasses and have names like Dr. Zweistein..."  
我開始念:「在電影裡,天才都有蓬蓬亂亂的白頭髮,對吧?他們戴著很厚的眼鏡,名字像 Zweistein 博士那樣……」

COUNT ON CREATIVITY!  
相信創意的力量!

The main character in Lensey Namioka's short story "LAFFF" goes to extreme measures to ensure that she takes home top honors in a writing competition and sees her story published in the school magazine.  
在 Lensey Namioka 的短篇故事《LAFFF》中,主角採取了非常極端的方法,確保自己能在寫作比賽中拿到最高榮譽,並讓自己的故事刊登在校刊上。

Winning the contest is a thrill, especially when she realizes she has learned a lesson much more valuable than a contest prize: the story was in her all along, and she needed only to believe in her own creative ability.  
贏得比賽令人興奮,尤其是當她發現自己學到了一個比獎品更珍貴的道理:故事其實一直都在她心裡,她只需要相信自己的創作能力。

This lesson is one that even the most celebrated professional authors have to continuously reinforce within themselves.  
這個道理,就連最有名、最受讚賞的職業作家,也必須不斷提醒自己。

Writing an imaginative story or a work of science fiction can feel particularly risky, and writers often question whether audiences will continue to find their scenes and settings interesting, or whether people will be eager to follow story characters on journeys that may seem extraordinary or at times even bizarre.  
寫一個充滿想像的故事或科幻作品,常常會讓人覺得特別有風險;作家也常會懷疑讀者會不會一直覺得他們寫的場景和背景有趣,或大家會不會願意跟著故事角色踏上那些看起來很不平凡、甚至有時有點怪奇的旅程。

Often the most challenging aspect of the writing process is coming to trust one's own instincts, talents, and ideas.  
寫作過程中,最困難的部分往往是學會相信自己的直覺、才能和想法。

As you write your own plays and stories, remember that readers find it enjoyable to be transported into the world an author constructs in a story, even when (or, in some cases, especially when!) that world is utterly unlike their own.  
當你在寫自己的劇本和故事時,要記得:讀者會覺得被帶進作者在故事中打造的世界很有趣,就算(有時甚至是特別因為!)那個世界跟他們的真實生活完全不一樣。

Although inventing a whole new world or new kind of character can be intimidating in the planning stages, have faith that others out there share your interests, and work to help readers visualize what you see in your mind.  
雖然在規劃階段,要創造一個全新的世界或一種新角色可能會讓人有點害怕,但要相信外面也有人和你有相同的興趣,並努力幫助讀者把你腦中看到的畫面想像出來。

Vivid language and descriptions, relatable details, and fully formed characters and ideas—and a writer's confidence in his or her own original vision—can ensure that readers will find even the most far-fetched story irresistible.  
生動的文字和描寫、讓人有共鳴的細節、完整立體的角色與點子——再加上作者對自己原創想法的自信——都能讓讀者覺得就算是最天馬行空的故事,也非常吸引人、讓人無法抗拒。
文字轉語音
31,626 字元 / 約 16,136 tokens將分 12 段處理